Monday, October 11, 2010

Where's Your Gratitude?

Today I'm talking about Gratitude, and the title is not meant to scold you!  It's meant to get you thinking about where and when you express gratitude.


“Gratitude can transform common days into thanksgivings, turn routine jobs into joy, and change ordinary opportunities into blessings.” — William Arthur Ward


Gratitude is the best attitude you can have because it's a space of acceptance and celebrating.  It helps us in the tough moments to see the lesson and the witness the improvements on our character, choices and perspective.  


During Holistic Coaching,  people have told me "I don't have ANYTHING to be grateful for, my life is shit right now."  This is the most important time to practice gratitude!  It's the faith and support that keeps us going.  Plus, that kind of life view is such an exaggeration.  Can you walk?  Are you thankful for eyesight?  Your ability to make it through the tough days?  We can ALL find something to be grateful for.  


Practicing gratitude is just that, a practice.  Mornings are good time to set the day off in a space of appreciation and trust.  Things will get better, and as we acknowledge the good, more can come in.  When coaching, I might ask, "have there been people who've been listening and supporting you through this experience?" Right there is some thank you work.  


In the mornings, write down a list of at least 10 things you're grateful for. Each day, write down different things on that list.  This makes it really count.  Here's my list today.  


I'm grateful for...
1.  My incredibly supportive friends and family
2. My loving partner
3. My health for the last 5 months
4. My beautiful apartment and sunlight
5. Delicious food
6. My schedule, being able to take breaks and eat when I want
7. San Francisco, opportunity, fantastic people who get me
8. My wonderful therapist!
9. Living in 2010
10. The many more years I'll have to heal, dream, create, connect... 

No comments:

Post a Comment